Tuesday, September 28, 2010

If You're Not Christian...

So what about all of those people out there who are NOT Christian and need support for the loss of a child? Well, I'm working on that. I have found some non-denominational support groups but they don't seem to have active online communities. When I do find something, however, that I think is helpful I will post it here.

For the most part, I have found that even if you aren't Christian the Christian-based organizations are still pretty good when it comes to community support. However, you might not agree with the doctrines and ideas behind them which could cause issues somewhere down the road.

As someone that does not follow the Christian faith, I find myself politely nodding my head a lot when other people talk to me about "God's plan" for Toby and various aspects of Heaven and such that I don't necessarily agree with. It's sometimes better to be polite than to enter a religious debate. However, there has to be a lot of Muslims, Pagans, Buddhists, Wiccans, Agnostics, and Atheists out there who are going through the same thing that we are and it would be nice if there were some groups that they could feel comfortable expressing their grief in.

I will continue looking, though, and hopefully come up with some things that might be helpful.


Okay, if you live in California and you are Buddhist, or not, then you can try the following website Zen Hospice Project.  They have a Hospice facility, grief counseling, and other programs that have a Zen aspect to them, although they are open to most people.


Grief Net is non-denominational and asks for a $10 fee to cover costs, but it will hook you up with other grieving people that might be in the same situation as you.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Wow! Are there really no sites for non-Christians? That's just nuts. SIDS strikes families all over the world. You'd think there would be all different kinds of forums to help families recover.

Anonymous said...

I am the founder of a Facebook support group for non-Christians called Forgotten Faces of SIDS, Stillbirth, and Miscarriage. As a devout Pagan who who was unmarried, living with parents, and attending college, I grew sick and tired of most of the resources primarily speaking to older, married, and Christian couples and being judged by those who believe; one lady even told me that my daughter died because I wasn't Christian. What if you are single? What if you are atheist? What if you are much older? What if you are gay or lesbian? What if you are a teen mom? What if you are a single dad? Well, we're here for you.

The link to my group is here, if you don't mind:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/ForgottenFacesofSIDSStillbirthandMiscarriage/