Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Iris DeMent--All the Time in the World










Of course this is another Iris Dement song that hasn't made it onto an album yet, but I love this song. I didn't realize it, of course, when i first heard it how fitting it would be later on. Anyway, I transcribed the lyrics. Iris, by the way, is our new baby's namesake.


All the Time in the World

Hey baby girl I know that I don’t talk that much to you
Under the stars and by the river looking up the way I used to do
But tonight I just need to talk so I’m gonna go out for a little walk
Like we’ve got all the time in the world

Your sister found a big heart and it’s so strong and true
If you could have stayed around I know she would have been there for you
When she held you and gave you a bath she didn’t know you didn’t have
All the time in the world

Your daddy’s love remains, mine I think it grows
He misses you in ways that I will never know
As for me I’m just trying to stay true from what I learned from you
We ain’t got all the time in the world

I had a dream last night where you walked around on legs like mine
You had your daddy’s moves half wild and half shy
You had your grandma’s pretty red hair
Maybe you know them since they’re there
And you’ve got all the time in the world

Hey baby girl I know I don’t talk that much to you
Under your stars and by the river and looking up the way I used to do
But tonight I just need to talk, I’m gonna go out for a little walk
Like we’ve got all the time in the world
Oh I wish we had the time
All the time in the world

No comments: