Monday, July 29, 2013

My life as a TV show?

Last week my book HAUNTED ESTILL COUNTY caught the attention of a television producer who produces a popular show that airs on the SyFy channel. The producer was interested not only in the stories found in my book, but my own story. We had a pleasant, yet somewhat unnerving, conversation for about an hour over the telephone. I recounted the events that led up to Toby's death, the ones that took place in the house we lived in at the time. I talked about the scorpions and the Native American singing and balls of lights and noises...about the dogs dying. About the troubles with Iris and Toby's pregnancies, Mom's stroke, my health problems, and our general bad luck. Then about the fact that others sensed an evil presence in the house and some of the details that came from that.

It was...interesting.

She is interested in filming for an episode of the show. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Interviewing me, Pete, Mom...The idea is unnerving for Pete.

And then, of course, they would hire actors to portray us. What this would mean is that Toby's death would basically be reenacted on the screen for the world to see.

I've watched a few episodes of the show. It's a good one. I like it. But how would I feel about my life basically being on screen for entertainment purposes?

I rarely talk about Toby's death and the incidents around it in the supernatural context. It makes me feel weird. When I do it, I do it privately to a select number of people in my life whom I feel comfortable with. I'm afraid that people will think I'm crazy.

I guess we'll see how it goes. We're not locked in to anything.

Over the past two weeks I've felt so out of sorts. This time between Toby's birthday and his death is a hard period for me. I'm incredibly sensitive. I'm being bullied on Amazon by someone and any other time of the year I think I could brush it off and even laugh. But on this third anniversary of Toby's death I think I am taking things harder than I have on the previous two years. Sometimes I feel like I am on a slippery slide, ready to fall off or crack at any minute.

I have gotten some very good feedback on the infant loss book. I'm glad I finally got his story told in the way I wanted to tell it. I'm glad that others have connected with me and been supportive. That keeps me plugging.

No comments: